Tuesday, September 20, 2011

David's 1st Birthday ( I know, it's about time I blog about the biggest event in my life since last year's BIRTH!)

The theme: King David. First, let's talk about the decorations. I went crazy. Nuts. Berzerkoh! I just made that word up. I tried not to. The sane part of my brain said that this was crazy and I know it's only for me. But I just couldn't help myself. I had to go all out. I HONESTLY do not plan on doing this every year. Promise. This first one, it was for me. I know this. So here's a list of some of the things I did and you can decide for yourself if I'm crazy or not. At no point in time will we talk about budget, because truthfully, I don't know what it was. I just bought stuff. I tried to buy everything ON SALE (thank you Lindsay for the encouragement), and I even got some stuff at Aldi or for free in my neighbors trash. Yes, I did a little dumpster diving. Anyway, here's the list:
  • Blue Cups, napkins, spoons, and forks
  • All the serveware was blue, and I found it ALL on super clearance. Bowls for 50 cents, things like that. 
  • Navy Blue stamp pad (I STAMPED all the napkins with a birthday stamp that I had already)
  • Blue gift bags for favors (I stamped them all too, btw, thank you to Laura Crimm for your help. You are a great stamper. But seriously, go to college. lol!)
  • Printed Avery Labels with the theme that I had printed out and put on each Blue party cup (Thank you Chrissy!)
  • Clear Candy bags adorned with said Themed Avery Label for the candy bar
  • Blue Candy Bar (Blue gourmet twizzler things, blue gumballs, blue airheads, sixlets, candy canes, etc)
  • Blue Abacca (that really pretty netting material that makes the most beautiful bow)
  • Blue Corn Tortilla
  • Homemade "Blue" White chocolate covered popcorn, Red white chocolate covered popcorn
  • Blue White chocolate covered pretzels (I bought the Wilton blue and red colored white chocolate)
  • Craft Table I got at the flea market (It was so cheap and I will use this with David for years to come)
  • Spray painted 4 child chairs I found in my neighbors trash for FREE for the craft table.
  • CRAFTS include VERY cheap already on sale school supplies: I found packs of cardboard crowns for 79 cents a pack and each child decorated and wore their own crown just like "King David", crown chalk board stickers, markers, crayons, foam stickers, construction paper, etc
  • . Homemade Chili and Sister Schubert's rolls with the sausage in the middle
  • Beautiful cupcakes and cake and a borrowed cupcake stand that made the table pop! (Thank you Stacia)
I'm tired of making this list, but you get the idea. I went all out. I forgot about the homemade banner (thank you Chrissy and Laura), beautiful invites (Thank you Michael :) ), and tissue paper balls, my blue dress, matching crackle nail polish, etc.

Here is a picture recap of just the decor:
 Found those cool chalkboard crowns for 1 dollar!
 Before the cupcakes arrived.

 Candy Bags
 The labels on the candy bags matched the invites. If you couldn't tell the theme was King David.
 Blue food coloring turned the tips of the white roses blue! And the vase was red, but it just looks purple.
 I forgot to tell you about the blue sugar cookies. THOSE were time consuming.

 I make a good pot of chili if I do say so myself.


 Blue punch


 The sugar cookies were shaped like crowns for the King.
 Love this idea. I got each frame for super cheap and they were party favors. One per family. I think almost everyone got one.






So that's the decor.

The party itself was very good. We ate, opened presents, let David eat his smash cake and then everyone trickled out. We had a table and chairs upstairs and the football game was on and there are lots of D's toys up there, so needless to say, several of the guys went up there to watch football. That worked out great, because others were downstairs and logistically people weren't too crowded in one place. I kept thinking about how I invited more people than my house could comfortably hold, but it was a beautiful day and kids played outside and people were upstairs and downstairs so I feel like it worked out! :) I am so blessed and thankful to our friends and family who came out to celebrate with us. I thank God for each and every one of you and know that without you all my life would be much dimmer. But as it is, I am so blessed by each of you! Here's a pic recap of the guests and some are not pictured which makes me sad, but I was too busy to take pics, thank you to those that did: 






















No comments:

Post a Comment