Monday, August 8, 2011

Calvin's 30th Surprise Party

So I have absolutely been dyin' inside!! I started planning years ago that when Calvin turned 30 I wanted to throw him a surprise party. The only problem? My mouth. Which, conveniently enough, God convicted me over just this morning. Anyway, I'm sure I'll blog about that later..Ha!  I'd been planning over a month for Calvin's party behind his back. Buying little things here and there, calling people, making plans for the cake, getting ideas from friends and the internet. The week before I was SO afraid I would slip up! I was making visits to people to get the cake, hide the cake; I made homemade cookies and hid them in the refrigerator; I kept buying stuff for punch and leaving it in the car. All that to say, HE DIDN'T CATCH ON! He really was surprised!!!!



The idea of the party was this: Guests were told not to bring a gift, just a homemade or store bought ice cream. This would keep costs down for me and for guests (I'm throwing David a 1st bday party in less than a  month and needed to save money for that too and it would be cheaper for guests to bring ice cream rather than a gift). I provided the toppings, cake, and decorated. I bought ALL my decorations from Target when they were 50% - 75% off! Nothing was full price and several things I am reusing for David's party! Woohoo! Talk about saving money! I bought almost ALL the toppings for the ice cream at Aldi. What a GREAT grocery store. They are owned by the same company as Trader Joe's and their off brands are made by the same companies that make the real brands. So everything taste pretty good. I digress. On the list of toppings were: M&M's, peanuts, gummy bears, gummy worms, SweetTart gummies, Marshmallows, Milk and White Chocolate Chips. I also made homemade sugar cookies with royal icing. 
Here are pictures: 

 This is from Thursday. I did this on Thursday with the party on Saturday and put lids on the Mason jars and hid them in the hall closet!

 I made these cookies too! Did them on Thursday and put aluminum foil on them and hid them in the back of the refrigerator. It was funny, because Calvin doesn't touch leftovers. The Foil did the trick!
 Love these number cookies! They were my favorite!

 Here is what they looked like at the party with the decorations! I made name cards for all the food using scrapbook paper!

 This is one matched the blue and yellow polka dot theme!
The candy toppings!

Friday was hilarious! I was rushing around buying last minute things for the party: punch, fudge, caramel, plates and bowls, spoons and forks. Friday night I told Calvin that I was going to the grocery store and I did, but then I also went to Joseph and Heather's to make tissue paper pom poms! It's not uncommon that I do my grocery shopping at night, so Calvin didn't think twice! I told him we were having dinner with his parents Saturday night to celebrate his birthday. I told him I would make his favorite: Spinach tortellini with Alfredo and chicken and a homemade tiramisu. So I really did have to run to two different places before I found ladyfingers. World Market carries them by the way! That wasn't really happening, but I did plan on making his favorite dinner at some point. His actual birthday is Monday so I thought I'd do it then. Anyway, Saturday morning my stomach was in knots! I was SO anxious and excited! I wanted to get ready for the party so that when Joseph came to pick up Calvin to take him to lunch to get him out of the house I'd be able to jump right on in to decorating (please ignore my grammar and run on sentences!). I didn't want Calvin to think of it as unusual that I would be getting pretty'd up on a Saturday. I told him that I get tired of always looking so "mommy" and never doing my hair and makeup and I wanted to feel pretty so I was going to take a shower and do just that! He seemed to buy it! So I got ready and at 12:30, Joseph (who was in on it and had to figure out how to keep Calvin out until 2:30 p.m.) picked Calvin up and took him to Cafe Raka! Still jealous, because Cal's eaten there twice and I haven't yet. :( Anyway, still digressing. As soon as Cal left, I jumped into HIGH GEAR! Got out decorations, hung up paper lanterns and pom poms, signs, candy, plasticware, etc. I made punch, heated up fudge, and all this while trying to take care of David and feed him lunch. He kept going behind me and pulling down signs and trying to reach the tablecloth! At long last, guests started to arrive! I was able to arrange the icecream and cake on the table. I forgot to get pictures of the table fully stocked, but oh well! It looked great! At 2:30, Calvin walked in and was truly surprised! I was excited to pull it off. So I am done talking, here are the pictures: 

 The table before cake and ice cream!
 Tommy and Baby Sarah!
 The guests waiting for Calvin and Joseph to arrive!
 David with his eyes closed! ;) Sorry David, and we are still waiting!
 There's the computer in the background. We had a video we played from Lewis!
 SURPRISE!
 I kinda think he was embarrassed!
I have no idea why he has an ESPN book.
 I LOVE the punch I made. Blue Hi-C, Gingerale, Fresh cut Lemons, and blueberries! It was delicious and MATCHED! :)

 Thank you to Stacia Hamblin for the cake!
 Strawberry cake with buttercream icing!




 Besties!!!
 I love my friends!
Calvin and his wifey! That's me!







Calvin, here is a birthday message from me to you: 
You are an AMAZING father and husband! I could not have asked God for a better man. I know we struggle and each have our issues, but we are always working and striving to be better through Christ in us. I'm so thankful that you are a wonderful provider, protector, and encourager! You are always affirming me with your words and telling me what a good job I do. I don't always deserve that so I love you for loving me beyond my mistakes and sin. I want to love you the same way! Praising God for you and praying that we grow old together! You're my honey bunches of oats with almonds! ;) Love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment